(Serves 4 – 6)
- olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2-4 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 can brown lentils (extra fibre)
- 2 400g can diced tomatoes
- 3 Tbspn tomato paste
- 1-2 cube beef stock
- 1 tspn each dried herbs, basil and oregano
- 1-2 carrots, washed, trimmed and grated
- 1 cup grated mushrooms
- 2 courgettes, ends trimmed and grated
- 1 bag baby spinach leaves
- 1 packet wholemeal lasagne sheets or
- cooked sliced eggplants for low carb /high fibre option
- 500ml milk
- 3 Tbspn plain flour
- 1 Tbspn butter
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup Edam cheese, grated
- freshly ground black pepper
Step 1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a large pan with a little oil. Add and garlic and fry over a moderate heat until soft. Add mince and brown gently.
Step 2. Add tin tomatoes, tomato paste, stock cube, herbs and simmer for 10 minutes. Add carrots, mushrooms and courgettes and cook for another 5 minutes. Season to taste.
Step 3. While meat is cooking, make cheese sauce. Combine milk, flour and spread in a saucepan over a medium heat. Stir continuously until sauce thickens. Reduce to a low heat, simmer, stirring, for about 5 minutes. Add cheeses and stir until melted. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
Step 4. In a deep oven dish place lasagne sheets or eggplants on the bottom. Pour a third of the meat and vegetable mixture over, followed by a third of the cheese sauce. Cover with a layer of baby spinach leaves. Then add another layer of lasagne sheets or eggplants. Repeat these layers and end with layer of cheese sauce.
Step 5. Place in middle of oven and cook for about 35 – 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving with a fresh green salad.